Marc Walden’s Chicken Salad with Peach
Mayonnaise and Spiced Pecans
(makes 10 to 12 servings)
- 1 ½ cups mayonnaise (preferably Duke’s)
- ½ cup fresh puree (from 1 to 2 peaches)
- 2 ½ TBL honey (local honey if possible)
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 TBL Dijon mustard
- ¾ tsp minced fresh garlic
- 8 cups shredded poached chicken breasts (recipe follows)
- ¾ cup chopped red onion
- ½ cup diced dried peaches or apricots
- ½ cup Spiced PECANS (recipe follows)
- 1 to 2 TBL minced fresh parsley
- Salt and ground black pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, stir together the mayonnaise and peach puree. Stir in the honey, sugar, Dijon mustard and garlic. In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, onion, dried peaches and spiced pecans. Stir in the mayonnaise mixture. Fold in the parsley. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and chill before serving.
(makes 8 cups shredded chicken)
- 6 pounds skinless, bone-in chicken breast halves
- 1 carrot halved
- 1 celery stalk halved
- 1 medium onion quartered
- Handful of parsley sprigs
- 1 TBL seasoned salt
- 2 tsp peppercorns
- 10 to 12 cups water
In a large saucepan, combine the chicken breasts, carrot, celery, onion, parsley springs, seasoned salt and peppercorns. Cover with water and bring just to a boil. Reduce the heat to very low and cover. Poach the chicken until just cooked through, 20 to 30 minutes. While the chicken is still warm, pull the meat from the bones and shred it into bite sized pieces. Discard the bones. If desired, strain the poaching liquid and store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
(makes 1 pound)
- 1 TBL packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ¾ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp curry powder
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 TBL butter
- 1 pound PECAN HALVES
Preheat oven to 350F. In a small bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Put the butter on a rimmed baking sheet and place in the oven to melt. Remove the pan from the oven. Pour the pecans onto the pan, sprinkle them with the spice mix, toss to coat. Spread the pecans in a single layer and bake until the nuts are fragrant, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature. Store in an airtight container for up to 1 week or freeze for longer storage.
Eat Drink Delta – a Hungry Traveler’s Journey Through the Soul of the South – Susan Puckett
PECAN CRUSTED CHICKEN SALAD
HONEY MUSTARD DRESSING:
- ¼ cup honey
- 3 TBL Dijon mustard
- 3 TBL PECAN OIL
- 1 TBL minced shallots
- 1 TBL cider vinegar
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Salt & Pepper to taste
FOR THE CHICKEN:
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, slide in half
- ¾ cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ dried thyme
- ½ tsp paprika
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
FOR THE SALAD:
- 8 cups mixed salad greens such as arugula, radicchio, curly endive and romaine
- ½ cup thinkly sliced red onion
- 4 oz mild goat cheese, crumbled
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Combine honey, Dijon, pecan oil, shallots, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a bowl for the dressing until blended; set aside.
Pound chicken breasts for tenderness. Whisk egg whites, cornstarch and lemon juice in shallow dish for dipping mixture. Add pecans, oregano, thyme, paprika and cayenne to the crusting mixture. Crust chicken, chill while air drying, sauté and then roast.
Toss greens, onion, and goat cheese with dressing (you will not need all of the dressing). Divide greens among 4 plates. Top greens with slice chicken. Sprinkle any toasted crumbs left in the pan on salads. Serve with extra dressing on the side.
Pecan Pumpkin Bread
- 1 cup PECAN OIL
- 3 cups sugar
- 2 cups pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp each - cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg. baking soda
Add pecan oil to sugar and blend well. Stir in pumpkin and eggs and mix well. Add flour and all dry ingredients. Pour into ungreased baking pan - line bottom with parchment paper. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 min (depending on your stove). Makes 2 loaves.
This is a recipe from a dear friend of my Mother's - Helen Stoney.
Yield 2 loaves – Prep 20 minutes – bake 1 hour
- 2 cups chopped strawberries, hulled
- ½ cup sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ¾ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup PECAN OIL
- 1 cup chopped PECANS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9x5 inch loaf pans. In a small bowl, toss strawberries with sugar; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt and baking powder.
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together eggs and pecan oil. Add pecans and strawberries. Add strawberry mixture to dry ingredients. Pour into prepared loaf pans.
Bake for 1 hour, or until tester inserted into center comes out clean.
· 2 TBL powdered sugar
· ½ cup butter, softened
· 3 strawberries hulled and finely chopped
In a small bowl, combine powdered sugar and butter; stir well. Add strawberries and gently fold in. refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
Australian Jack House Salad
This salad blends several spicy flavors. The sweet citrus pecans, dried cranberries, Stilton cheese and vinaigrette make an exquisite combination.
· ½ pound Spring mix salad blend, washed and dried
· 4 ounces Stilton cheese, crumbled
· ½ cup dried cranberries
Citrus Toasted Pecans:
· ½ Tbl orange rind
· 3 Tbls fresh squeezed orange juice
· ½ cup sugar
· 2 cups DELTA PECAN HALVES
In a medium sauce pan mix orange rind, orange juice and sugar. Stir thoroughly to dissolve the sugar then bring to a boil over medium high heat. Add pecan halves and stir for 3-5 minutes, being careful not to burn pecans. Turn pecans onto waxed paper to cool. It takes 48 hours for them to set up. If you need them right away, drop the gooey things in a bag of sugar a few at a time and shake. Use one cup in the salad and freeze the rest.
Sherry Vinaigrette Dressing:
· ½ tsp Dijon mustard
· ¾ tsp sugar
· 2 tsp Spanish sherry vinegar
· 6 Tbls extra virgin PECAN OIL
· Salt and pepper to taste
Whisk ingredients together and seaon with salt and pepper.
Assemble salads by dressing greens with vinaigrette and then topping with Stilton cheese, cranberries and toasted pecans.
Compliments of Jackson Speed, Queensland Australia (my cousin)
PESTO ALLA GENOVESE
- 2 cups fresh or frozen basil leaves
- 2 Tbl DELTA PECANS, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic (more if you wish)
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup Romano cheese
- ½ cup DELTA PECAN OIL
- 1 Tbl butter (optional)
Throw it into the food processor. Set to “kill”. Makes a green paste. 2-3 tablespoons per serving of pasta tossed. YUM!
When making pesto cubes leave out the cheese and use just enough of the pecan oil to allow the processor to work. When you defrost later, just drizzle a little pecan oil over the pasta, toss in the pesto, add cheese and mix.
Compliments of Bonnie Tubbs, Sumner MS
SPINACH SALAD WITH PLUMS AND GOAT CHEESE
- 2 Tbl sherry vinegar
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbl DELTA PECAN OIL
- 1 (5-ounce) package baby spinach
- 3 plums, pitted and thinly sliced
- 3 ounces fresh goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ cup toasted DELTA PECAN PIECES
In a large serving bowl, whisk together vinegar, salt and pepper. Gradually whisk in oil until vinaigrette thickens. Add spinach, plums, cheese,
shallots and pecans and toss gently until evenly coated.
Roasted Asparagus salad with strawberries
· 4 – 6 slices Hickory Smoked Turkey Bacon
· ¼ cup plus 1 ½ Tbls DELTA PECAN OIL, divided
· 1 Tbl orange marmalade
· 2 Tbls white balsamic vinegar
· 30 fresh asparagus spears, tough ends removed
· 1 tsp salt1 (16 ounce) container fresh winter strawberries, sliced ¼ inch thick (about 2 ½ cups)
· 6 Tbls crumbled goat cheese with peppercorns
· ½ tsp ground black pepper
· ¼ tsp ground white pepper
1. In a medium skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove bacon from skillet, and drain on paper towels. Drain bacon grease from skillet. To not wipe skillet out.
2. Add ¼ cup PECAN OIL and marmalade to skillet. Cook over medium heat, stirring with a wooden spoon until marmalade is melted, loosening brown bits form bottom of skillet while stirring. Remove from heat and stir in vinegar. Set aside.
3. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
4. Spread asparagus in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Drizzle asparagus with remaining 1 ½ tsp PECAN OIL, tossing gently to coat. Sprinkle evenly with salt.
5. Bake until asparagus is barely tender, 5 to 10 minutes. Place asparagus on a large platter, or divide evenly among 6 salad plates.
6. Stir strawberries into marmalade mixture, tossing to coat. Spoon strawberry mixture evenly over asparagus. Top evenly with bacon, feta cheese, and pepper. Serve immediately.
Spinach Salad with goat cheese & toasted pecan vinaigrette
· 3 medium beets, washed and trimmed
· ½ cup plus 2 Tbls extra virgin PECAN OIL, divided
· 6 ounces goat cheese
· 1 cup ground toasted DELTA PECANS
· ¼ cup sugar
· 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
· ¼ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp ground black pepper
· 8 cups fresh baby spinach
· 3 oranges, peeled and sectioned
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beets on a shete of aluminum foil. Drizzle with 2 Tbls pecan oil. Fold edges of foil up
around beets to seal. Bake until beets are fork tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Let cool completely. Peel and slice beets ¼ inch thick.
Shape goat cheese into 24 cubes. Inn a medium bowl, combine ground pecans and sugar, mixing to remove any lumps. Press pecan mixture into goat cheese cubes, reserving leftover pecan mixture. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
In a medium bowl, combine remaining pecan mixture and vinegar. Slowly add remaining 1/2 cup pecan oil, whisking to combine. Add salt and pepper, whisking well. Divide spinach, beet slices, orange sections and goat cheese cubes among 8 plates. Spoon desired amount of vinaigrette over salad. Serve immediately.
- Florets of 1 ½ to 2 pounds fresh broccoli
- 2 Tbl butter
- 1 Tbl Delta Pecan Oil
- 6 sprigs of rosemary
- ¼ cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Steam the broccoli over boiling water for 5 minutes or until tender. Plunge the broccoli into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process and preserve the bright green color. Drain and pat dry. You may prepare to this point up to 1 day in advance and store, covered, in the refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before proceeding with recipe.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Combine the butter, Pecan Oil, broccoli and rosemary in the skillet, sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Leaving the rosemary sprigs whole imparts a big flavor burst, without leaving rosemary needles stuck in the broccoli. Serve the broccoli with the rosemary left in as a garnish. Serves 4 to 6.
Mixed Greens and Strawberries with Balsamic Vinaigrette
· ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
· ½ tsp salt
· ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
· ¾ cup Delta Pecan Oil
· 7 cups mixed salad greens, torn into small pieces
· 1 ½ cups sliced celery
· 1/3 cup Delta Pecan pieces slightly toasted
· ½ cup coarsely grated Parmesan cheese
· 1 pt strawberries, halved
Whisk together vinegar, salt and pepper. Add pecan oil in a thin stream, whisking until emulsified. Just before serving combine greens, celery, pecans, cheese and strawberries. Toss dressing with salad, using just enough to coat but not wilt the greens. Serve on a clear glass plate.
- 16 ounces vermicelli
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, sautéed
- ½ cup Delta Pecan Oil
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 3 Tbl Garlic and Rosemary seasoning
- 1 (8 oz ) can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Grape tomatoes
- Springs of parsley and/or basil
Cook the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt; drain. Cut the chicken into 1-inch pieces. Combine the pecan oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice and seasoning in a bowl and mix well. Toss the pasta, chicken, olives and green onions in a pasta bowl. Add the mayonnaise mixture to the pasta mixture and mix until coated. Sprinkle with cheese and garnish with cherry tomatoes and sprigs of parsley and/or basil. Serve at room temperature or chilled
Delta Rice Salad
· ½ cup Delta Pecans
· 3 cups cooked long grain rice
· 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
· 1 cup English cucumber, peel left on, sliced
· ½ cup red bell pepper, diced
· 1 zucchini squash, grilled tender-crisp and cut into chunks
· 3 green onions, sliced thin, including tops
· 1 cup kalamata olives, pitted
· 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
· 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced
· 2 T. fresh rosemary, finely minced
· 1 T. fresh mint, finely minced
· 6 T. Delta Pecan Oil
· Zest of 1 large lemon
· 3-4 T. lemon juice
· Salt and pepper to taste
Toast the pecans in a dry, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Stir often. When lightly browned, transfer the nuts into a small bowl and set aside to cool. In a large bowl combine the cooked rice and feta. Add cucumber, bell pepper, grilled squash, onions, olives and tomatoes. Stir gently to mix all the ingredients.
Dressing: In a small bowl combine garlic, rosemary, mint, lemon zest and lemon juice. Very slowly drizzle in the Delta Pecan Oil while whisking continuously until the mixture is emulsified. Adjust seasonings. Pour over rice mixture and lightly toss all ingredients together. Refrigerate until ready to serve. This salad is delicious made a day in advance to allow flavors to blend.
Add cooked shrimp for a heartier salad.
Caesar Salad with Roasted Potatoes and Sweet Onions
1 ½ to 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large sweet onion, chopped
¼ cup of Delta Pecan Oil
1 tsp each salt and pepper
2 romaine hearts, torn into pieces
Caesar dressing (recipe follows)
Parmesan cheese for garnish
1 T. Dijon mustard
¼ cup red wine vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice, fresh squeezed
1 ounce anchovies
5 garlic cloves
¾ cup Parmesan cheese
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp hot sauce
2 cups mayonnaise (try our Garlic Basil mayonnaise)
Preheat oven to 375F degrees. Place the potatoes, onion, oil,
salt and pepper on a baking sheet and toss together until everything is covered in oil. Roast for 25 minutes. Allow to cool before using. For the Dressing – place all ingredients except mayonnaise in a food processor and puree until smooth; stop. Add the mayonnaise and pulse until combined. Refrigerate. To assemble the salad – put the roasted potatoes, onions and lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat the salad to your liking and top with shreds of Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
FRUIT AND PECAN PIMIENTO CHEESE
1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped Delta Pecans
¼ cup diced pimientos
¼ cup minced Vidalia onion
¼ cup dried cranberries, chopped
2 Tbl minced fresh parsley
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp ground paprika
¼ tsp salt
In medium bowl, combine cream cheese, Cheddar, pecans, pimientos, onion, cranberries, parsley, Worcestershire, paprika, and salt, mixing to blend. Refrigerate until read to use. Can be stored in refrigerator covered up to 5 days.
½ cup finely chopped celery
½ cup chopped yellow onion
½ cup ketchup
½ cup Creole mustard
1/3 cup chopped green onion
½ cup finely chopped Delta Pecans
¼ cup horseradish
¼ cup Dijon mustard
2 large eggs
¼ lemon, seeds removed
2 Tbl finely chopped fresh parsley
1 Tbl fresh lemon juice
1 Tbl hot sauce
2 cloves garlic
¼ tsp salt
¾ cup Delta Pecan Oil
In a blender or food processor, combine all ingredients except pecan oil. Process until mixture is smooth. With food processor or blender running, slowly add pecan oil until mixture is emulsified. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Unused Remoulade may be stored in refrigerator for up to 3 days.
PECAN CHICKEN SALAD
1/2 cup finely chopped Delta Pecans
2 Tbl butter
1 1/2 cups finely chopped cooked chicken
1/2 cup Basil Garlic Mayonnaise (recipe below)
3 ounces cream cheese, softened
Combine the pecans and 2 Tbl butter in a skillet. Cook until the pecans are brown, stirring frequently. Stir in the chicken, basil garlic mayonnaise and cream chees
BASIL GARLIC MAYONNAISE
1 large egg, room temperature
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/3 cups Delta Pecan Oil
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
2 cloves garlic minced
2 Tbl fresh lemon juice
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
In food processor or mixer, blend egg, salt and peper. With machine running, add pecan oil in slow, thin stream. After oil is added, blend in basil, garlic, lemon juice and cayenne. Blend.
Pecan Spinach Salad
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 Tbl vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp horseradish
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
1 pound spinach (baby spinach works best)
1 16 oz carton cream style small curd cottage cheese
1 cup (4 oz) grated Swiss cheese
1 medium sized red onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1/2 package bacon, cooked crisp & crumbled
1/2 cup chopped Delta Pecans
Prepare dressing by combining sour cream, vinegar, sugar, horseradish, salt and dry mustard, whisking to blend.
Combine spinach, cottage cheese, Swiss cheese, onion, mushrooms, bacon and Delta Pecans in serving bowl. Add dressing to salad tossing gently to mix. Serves approximately 8. (Cincinnati Jr. League Cookbook - 1998)
BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE RECIPE
- 2 TBL balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbl red wine vinegar
- 1 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground white pepper
- 3/4 cup virgin pecan oilWhisk the vinegars, mustard, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper until mixed. Gradually whisk in the pecan oil until smooth.
Z’s Chicken Salad
2 lbs chopped chicken (thighs only, boiled, skinned, boned)
3 medium jars of chopped green olives (no pimiento)
1 cup minced pecans
½ cup minced onion
A ton of Greek seasoning
Mix the chicken, green olives, pecans, onion, and Greek seasoning together until well mixed. Add mayonnaise to taste and preferred spreadability. Chill for at least two hours, but soften to room temperature before serving. Serve with assorted breads and crackers.
Compliments of Lindsey Bray
· 1 Tbl DELTA PECAN OIL
· 1 cup DELTA PECAN halves
· 2 tsp salt
· 9 cups arugula
· 1 ½ cups fresh blackberries
· 1 4 oz package goat cheese, crumbled
· 3 grilled chicken breasts sliced
· Blackberry Vinaigrette (recipe follows)
Heat pecan oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add pecans, stirring to coat with oil. Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, stirring often, or until pecans are toasted and fragrant. Sprinkle with salt. Set aside to cool.
Divide arugula among 6 serving plates. Top with blackberries, prepared pecans, and goat cheese, tossing gently. Top with chicken breast slices.
Drizzle with desired amount of Blackberry Vinaigrette.
· 2 cups fresh blackberries
· 3 Tbl sugar
· 2 Tbl balsamic vinegar
· ¼ cup pecan oil
· ¼ tsp salt
· ¼ tsp ground black pepper
In the container of a blender, or mixer, combine blackberries and sugar. Pulse until liquefied. Add balsamic vinegar, pulsing until combined. With blender running, slowly add pecan oil. Add salt and pepper, pulsing to combine. Store any leftovers in refrigerator.
Recipe development by Virginia Hornbuckle – Taste of the South Magazine – June/July 2010